Thread: Brother PE 770

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brother PE 770

I have been embroidering now for several years, started with the 270D and now currently have the PE770. Several designs that I am looking at utilizing are just outside the 5 x 7 hoop size. My question is how can I resize the pattern on the machine without software. It only needs approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch adjustment or can I purchase the larger hoop 5 x 12 and change the hoop size on the machine to make it work and just have to worry about adjusting the width by a small margin. Unfortunately all I have is PED basic for resizing and that doesn't help. Software is so expensive that I just have not been able to afford it but would like to. Any help would be appreciated?

Deb

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't mention the design's size, but sometimes it's possible for a design to fit better if you turn it 90 degrees in the hoop.

I don't have a Brother machine, let alone a PE-770, but I did download the manual and took a look. On page 61 it says:
    1) After selecting the embroidery pattern, press ADJUST.
    2) Press LAYOUT.
    3) It shows key #5 as being the SIZE key (immediately left of the LAYOUT key). When the SIZE key has been selected, the two buttons below the LAYOUT key are changed to the 'Increase size' (top) and 'Decrease size' (bottom) keys. Other info about the SIZE key options are also shown on that page.
    4) Press LAYOUT to exit SIZE.

On my machine, I can adjust a design's size by +/- 20%, but it does NOT adjust the design's density when doing so. That means that decreasing a design's size may, or may not, make it too dense, and increasing a design's size may, or may not, make a design's coverage too sparse. These could cause problems when stitching out the design. Also, some designs are digitized in a way that precludes them from being resized. After resizing a design, ALWAYS do a test stitch out (of course, you should always to a test stitch out even if you have not adjusted a design's size). If possible, use the same fabric in the test stitch out, as you plan to use in your final item.

With that said, you might want to check whether the digitizer's copyright allows you to adjust the size before doing any of the above. Even if it does allow you to do so, your best solution might be to ask the digitizer whether he/she would be willing to do the adjustment for you, if possible. That way the density will be taken into consideration and you won't be hit with any surprise changes in the design due to resizing.

As I mentioned at first, I do not have any experience with this machine. If no one else responds in this forum, then perhaps you could find a Brother specific Yahoo or Google group, in which folks would be more familiar with the PE-770.
    Bev in TX

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly you cannot resize using the machine, you need some software to do this. i use Sew What Pro from SandS Computing and everything resizes and it does decrease the density also. SWP is inexpensive, believe me I am the meanest person around.

The larger hoop does not help unless you split the design.

Good luck.
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

4. Thanks countryone77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always get Wilcom's truesizer. It is a free program and with it you can resize, but it will not decrease the density. It will also convert other designs to your pes format.

To have your machine decrease the size of the design, it first has to fit with the designated area of 5x7 to be read by your machine.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipa View Post
    Sadly you cannot resize using the machine ...
    Is Brother's info on the machine wrong? It does say the following (bold red added by me),

Design Editing features: Rotate, mirror-image, increase and decrease the size of your designs, and see how your edited design looks, right on the LCD display, before stitching.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...ID=PE770#dtab5

I got the User's Guide from here ...
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...lang=all&dlid=
    Bev in TX

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been abale to decrease a design on my machine using this feature. I can rotate, I can reposition but I cannot decrease a design to fit a hoop.

This machine will not read a design that is larger than the 5 x 7 hoop embroidery area. I have a lot of designs larger than 5 x 7 and have to split them for the machine to read the design and then of course I have to reposition everything to embroider the complete design. it really is a hassle. If the deign is smaller than 5 x7 it is not a problem, then you can decrease but here is word of warning, the stitch ut is not like the original. This is why I am buying the Dreamweaver machine.
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

8. Thanks countryone77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countryone77 View Post
    ...check whether the digitizer's copyright allows you to adjust the size before doing any of the above...
    It is NOT illegal in most instances to resize a design for your own use under federal copyright laws even if stated as being so in the designers notes! It is illegal for someone else to resize the design and send it to you or for you to resize and claim the modified design as your own.
    Never give up, never surrender.

http://www.designsbysick.com/?pointsfor=la_cole

10. Thanks countryone77 thanked for this post
    Likes countryone77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipa View Post
    ... This machine will not read a design that is larger than the 5 x 7 hoop embroidery area. ...
    Wow, that is a problem. That means that Deb cannot even read the design in and try turning it 90 deg, to check whether it would fit better, though that should be doable in free Embroidery software.

I must admit that I've never tried loading a too large design into my Janome MC10001, because I always had software (Customizer & later I got Embird), that I used for resizing my designs. I find it much easier to edit designs on my computer than in my machine. That is my computer has a faster CPU and I can use a mouse/keyboard rather than pushing all those "buttons". So, I don't know whether my Janome has that same issue or not.

There are quite a few free Embroidery programs, but as you mentioned, most of them don't allow one to adjust density, and sometimes even adjusting the density is insufficient. Sometimes it is best just to contact the digitizer.

Oh my, you made me want that machine! I've never heard of the V-Sonic Pen Pal system. I watched the video & it's amazing. I like to quilt and it has 11.25 inches under the arm -- it sounds lovely . Of course, I would have to get the one that does both regular sewing as well as embroidery. Ah well, it's something to dream about .
    Bev in TX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by la_cole View Post
    It is NOT illegal in most instances to resize a design for your own use under federal copyright laws even if stated as being so in the designers notes! It is illegal for someone else to resize the design and send it to you or for you to resize and claim the modified design as your own.
    Thanks for that clarification.

I think that sites often say that when they separately sell a design in multiple sizes. That is, you must pay separately for 4"x4", 5"x7", etc sizes. Here on Sick, they generally include multiple sizes in the same set.

With that said, generally speaking one should not changes a design's size by more than +/-20%, and even that can cause problems with some designs.
    Bev in TX

Thread Information