Thread: California, here we are!

wissewer is offline Grandchildren are the reward of a long life
    Post Thanks / Like

Default California, here we are!

Hi All,

We are at the most western spot in our month trip to see daughter and grand daughter who live in Monterey, California. So far, we have missed the tornadoes in Nebraska and the hail further south. Lucky us!

We also have golfed three times and stayed in a lot of very nice hotels. Visiting our family has been the best part of all. Our grand daughter seems to mature by years, even though we last saw her at Christmas. We've visited where our daughter works, seen the grand daughter's school, visited Fisherman's Wharf.....and, been off our diet so long that our clothes are getting tight! Also spent 5 hours at President Reagan's library in Simi Valley. If anyone goes, we definitely recommend spending the $7.00 for the use of the headphones so you can have a self-guided tour. We also toured Celestial Tea in Boulder, Colorado. That, too, was interesting.

Tomorrow, we head for Salt Lake City, by way of Reno, then home again to Wisconsin. It's been a great trip, and we've utilized our laptop and it Streets and Maps a great deal to avoid driving the wrong way, and also to check elevations of various spots. So far, our highest has been 10,500 in the mountains near Denver, Colorado. Then, driving up from Bakersfield, California, we drove through a cloud that was hanging around that particular mountain, about 4,000 feet altitude.

Coming from Wisconsin, we were surprised at how cold it is here. I even caught a bad cold that is still having consequences. How crazy is it that neither of us had colds all winter in Wisconsin; but, now, both of us have doozies? Hope you have all been enjoying a healthy and safe April.

Post Thanks / Like

Wisesewer - Have you heard - 100 tornados to the south of us and MN and WI are forcasted for rain today turning to snow tonight!
    Glad you are having a fun trip - take care and safe travels!

3. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

So good to hear from you Wisewer. Your trip sounds like it has been fantastic. Take heart about your colds, someone breathed the cold germs over you for you to catch it.. You have embraced the technology of the laptop and really did well. Safe trip home
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

5. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are having fun, wissewer!

The only thing that I know about Salt Lake City is that it is in Utah, which is Mormon country. I also know that it used to house the biggest database in the world.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and be safe!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds as if you're having a blast. Reunions with our loved ones are always such a blessing.

8. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wissewer hope that while you were in Monterey, you went to the aquarium. It is fantastic. Sounds like you are having a blast with your travels. When you go through Salt Lake City, make sure that you see their Mormon temple. It is stunning.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

Post Thanks / Like

Have a safe trip, enjoy your grand daughter, by the time you see her again she will be grown.
    Barbara
    Hugs to everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. I'm so glad you've been able to do all that you've done. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

12. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I move to the Philippines I plan on doing a 3 state trip to visit all of my family. It is great to hear you are having a wonderful time

14. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip Wisewer. Hope you avoid all the tornados, they sound really frightening. Hope all you USA sickies are safe from the tornados.

16. Thanks wissewer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We did not visit the aquarium despite rave reviews from lots and lots of people! The reason is that our granddaughter said she has had about a "million" school trips to the aquarium and she wanted us to do other things. We did listen to an organ recital at Salt Lake, just as we did in 1989! Beautiful. We also ate at the nauvoo cafe there....yummy raspberry bread pudding which hubby and I split. Met some lovely people there, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shastasmom View Post
    Wissewer hope that while you were in Monterey, you went to the aquarium. It is fantastic. Sounds like you are having a blast with your travels. When you go through Salt Lake City, make sure that you see their Mormon temple. It is stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get the chance to visit all your relatives before moving so far away! Are you relocating to the Phillipines?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacosandy View Post
    Before I move to the Philippines I plan on doing a 3 state trip to visit all of my family. It is great to hear you are having a wonderful time

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Salt Lake before, in 1989, when we gave our oldest son a high school graduation trip all over the western U.S. It is a lovely town and lovely people. I always feel a special affinity for it because we have a very large Mormon church a block from us and about half our neighbors belong to it....so, I feel right at home there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
    It sounds like you are having fun, wissewer!

The only thing that I know about Salt Lake City is that it is in Utah, which is Mormon country. I also know that it used to house the biggest database in the world.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and be safe!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha! That is the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgood View Post
    Have a safe trip, enjoy your grand daughter, by the time you see her again she will be grown.

Thread Information