Thread: Help in organizing brother threads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help in organizing brother threads

I have gotten the big box of brother thread. I found that I can write the number on the inside of the cone with a sharpie. But now, how do I organize them so that I can quickly grab the threads I need by number. Any and all hints are welcome.

I haven't used this forum before, so hopefully someone will see this

Thanks

saskia is offline A smile just completes the presentation
    Post Thanks / Like

I just sort them by color. so all the brands together.
    And I have a set of drawers with Madeira thread. It is sorted by color too. I have a booklet with all the numbers next to the colors so I can find them in an instand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine roughly sorted by colour and a printed list of the colours & numbers. 12 months later I know them off by heart and don't need the list anymore. xx

Post Thanks / Like

How do you store your thread? Mine is on pegboard and I used card stock and made tags that hang behind the each spool of thread. I wrote the number on the spool and on the tag so it is visible when the spool is on the hook. It makes for easy finding, replacing and reordering. Each spool is also wrapped in a strip of vinyl to keep off the dust.

Post Thanks / Like

I sort my thread by: Brand / color / type (example: Madeira / yellows, reds, greens, etc / rayon) then Madeira / golds, silvers, etc / metallics and so on with other brands. I have several thread chests that allow me to sort my thread accordingly. Any plastic container that has compartments that fit the size spool will work - if non-transparent - label the container for easy retrieval of what you need. Most important - keep threads out of light - light breaks down the threads quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several ways but my final is a ten drawer cabinet( around$30-40). I made dividers and put number on dividers and on cones. Now I know exactly where each color is and put it back without having my thread all messed up sitting around needing to be organized again. It is easy to find colors you need and I can move thread wherever needed. My larger cones is stored in three drawer storage thread. They arn't as organized but I only have the basic colors in them so they are no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of thread racks at wal-mart and organized by number. Once you are used to which row which number begins with (i.e. row 2 is #200+, row 3 is #300+)you can pretty much grab without looking. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I organize my threads by number on three thread racks, one 120 spool rack and two 60 spool racks. The photo does not show the third rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4071.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	31005  
    Never give up, never surrender.

http://www.designsbysick.com/?pointsfor=la_cole

Thread Information