Thread: Requesting troubleshooting help with Babylock Ellure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Requesting troubleshooting help with Babylock Ellure

Hello! I'm new here. New to embroidery too. Been sewing about 20 years.

I have a Baby Lock Ellure (NOT the Plus) with embroidery assembly. I have had it about 6 years and JUST got to embroidering this week.

My first design went off without much trouble.

My second design has done something unexpected. It was a freebie and I got it here: http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/pro...EB2004843.aspx

It seems to have pulled the bobbin thread through to the top so instead of the green thread of the stem and leaves, you see white bobbin thread. See pic, please.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2271(2)_edited.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	30877
    What have I done?! LOL!

I used CardWorks (the original version) to put it on my memory card and thus transfer it to the machine.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Tension to tight. Simplest way to solve this problem is wind the bobbin with the same embroidery thread

3. Thanks morcar7b thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome morcar7B. Your upper tension is too tight. Not sure what you have it set on, try loosing it to the next notch and that should do it.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

5. Thanks morcar7b thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacosandy View Post
    Tension to tight. Simplest way to solve this problem is wind the bobbin with the same embroidery thread
    OK, thanks for the reply. Simplest solution - OK, but what's the "best" solution? I thought you were supposed to use embroidery bobbin thread - like this stuff: http://www.moores-sew.com/sewing-acc...ead-60-wt.html

I read somewhere "60 weight" is the stuff to use - but again, I'm NEW to this, LOL!

What happens if I adjust the tension? What happens if I use the embroidery thread in the bobbin? Just wondering what to expect down the road. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shastasmom View Post
    First off, welcome morcar7B. Your upper tension is too tight. Not sure what you have it set on, try loosing it to the next notch and that should do it.
    OK, thanks.

Do you think I could/should snip out the design and start over on the same piece of fabric? Or just chuck it and start with a new piece of fabric? I forgot to mention the type of fabric, it's 100% cotton plain muslin, pretty lightweight with a "Easy Stitch" perforated tear-away stabilizer on back (non-adhesive). Supposed to be a baby's bib. I have extra muslin lying about and figured I'd use this for my tests, and if they work, turn them into bibs.

Post Thanks / Like

60 wt could be your problem most embroidery thread is 40 wt. I would try the 40 wt with a heavier stabilizer. Also welcome aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to wonderful world of machine embroidery. I have 2 Babylocks (Ellegante & Ellisimo) - love em. Try this.....turn off machine. Put in new needle (embroidery 12 preferably). Clean out any lint in bobbin area. Use 40wt top thread & 60wt bobbin thread. Turn power back on. Make sure top thread is properly threaded. I'd switch to heavier stabilizer as already suggested. Bring in your design and good luck stitching it out.

Post Thanks / Like

morcar7b, for almost everything that you will embroidery you will want to use what is called bobbin thread, and it will say bobbin thread on the label. It is very fine thread. You can use regular embroidery thread the 40wt for Free Standing Lace (FSL) or any where the bobbin thread will show, like on a towel, or for In The Hoop Designs (ITH) and it will not affect your machine, just the look of your project (front & back)
    For your top thread you want to use either rayon or polyester and it is 40wt thread. 60wt thread is too heavy for machine embroidery.
    For your stabilizer I'd recommend cut-a-way, approx 2 to 2.5oz. You can read about the various types of stabilizers at http://designsbysick.com/backings.php You can also purchase your thread from DBS. They have great prices when its on sale.

Adjusting the tension is just making it where the top tension doesn't pull up the bobbin thread to the top. It will not harm your machine. Using the embroidery thread (40wt) in the bobbin will not affect your machine. We all do it for the reasons I gave above.

As far as making baby bibs, great idea. Another idea for using tests is for pin cushions, making quilts for children/people in need, pot holders, etc. Again this is something that we all use our tests for.

Hope this info helps.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the Finishing Touch thread that you have is bobbin thread and is 60 weight.
    That is the most common weight of bobbin thread used in the bobbin for embroidery so it should be alright.

Are you using 40 weight Rayon or Polyester embroidery thread as your top thread?

What size of embroidery needle are you using?
    A size 75/11 or an 80/12 embroidery needle is the size used for most embroidery.
    for woven fabrics you would use a sharp point embroidery needle.
    For knit type fabrics you would use a Ball point embroidery needle.
    When starting an embroidery project always start with a new needle.

Make sure your bobbin is in the bobbin case right and that the bobbin thread is clicked into the bobbin thread tension on the bobbin case.

It could be that you just need to use a heavier weight stabilizer or a different type such as a medium weight cut away stabilizer.
    The satin stitches on the border of your designs are where the bobbin thread is coming to the top.
    Satin stitching has many stitches that are very close together and they have to be stabilized properly for them to stitch out great.
    Your tear away stabilizer may just be too light weight and could be punching out with all the satin stitching and that could be why the bobbin thread is coming to the top.

If you don't have a cut away stabilizer to try then try 2 layers of the tear away and see if that makes a difference.

You could try to lower your top thread tension down a notch and do a test stitch out and see it you solve the problem of the bobbin thread coming to the top of the design.

All that lowering the top thread tension does is it puts less pull on the bobbin thread.
    If the tension is set too tight it pulls the bobbin thread up to the top of the design and you see the bobbin thread or loops of bobbin thread.
    You can always change it back at any time to the normal setting that it is set at right now.

With out changing the top thread tension on your machine you could try to wind a bobbin with your top embroidery thread in the same color as you are using for top thread to see if you get a better stitch out.
    Having the bobbin thread the same as your top thread and in the same color if the bobbin thread still pulls up to the top of the design it will be less noticable but it doesn't really solve the problem of the bobbin thread coming to the top of the design.

Your machine may need a professional cleaning and the machine tech may need to set the top thread and bobbin thread tensions to give a balanced stitch for embroidery.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; April 6th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

12. Thanks morcar7b thanked for this post
    Likes morcar7b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Denise in Calgary, thank you!

I've gotten some good and helpful replies but yours was by far the most comprehensive! That's very useful to someone like me.

Yes, I'm using 40 weight Polyester embroidery thread on top.

I'm using the type of needle recommended in my sewing machine's manual, which is an 11/75 sharp - and it just so happens it was a new needle! (I am notorious for forgetting to replace my needles regularly.)

I'm beginning to think thread tension is the problem - I read up on it a bit last night online. And it could be a combination of the lightweight fabric and tension, which also has happened to me in sewing. In fact, according to my owner's manual, that's the thing - "If the bobbin thread is visible from the right side of the fabric, the upper thread is too tight." But I wouldn't have come to that conclusion without all the helpful posts from everyone on here! That's for sure!

I'm going to try again, using some of the suggestions on here, and report back later.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with my BabyLock Ellure

I have cleaned the excess threads that were caught in various places and now when i start the machine, ut sews briefly then stops and i get the message: Check if upper thread is cut:
    Please tell me how to fix this!

motoandnutty is offline The mirror lies; actually, I'm young and GORGEOUS!
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be that your thread is not seated properly in it's path - try un-threading and then re-threading the machine.

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a wild suggestion. Turn your machine off. Where the auto thread cutter is, check that this is not in the out position, this sometimes get stuck, you can gently push thus back with your finger, but before you do, give it a light spray with silicone, then rethread as suggested by Moto and see if the problem is fixed. My Brother, the baby machine has this happen sometimes and this is a fix for it. I know this sounds abhorrent, but take about twenty metres of thread of the spool, throw it away and then rethread the machine it's amazing how things can detiorate without us realising this. it's a hint I picked up from Cherish at Temple Quilt and Sew.
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Thread Information