Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow - 2012

Post Thanks / Like

i can hear thunder in the distance maybe we are going to get some rain - i am hoping to do some gardening tomorrow - plant a few broad beans and other treats -

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climbing roses starting up garden fence.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	30929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lavendar iris by garden fence.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	30930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More spiderwort!.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	30931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nice reflections.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	30932
    Took pics of some new flowers before rains come in - not complaining we are just coming out of a severe drought here in Texas. I was trying to get pic of the mallards swimming on pond but they took off! Pics: climbing roses, iris', spiderwort, pond in east pasture not far from house.

3. Likes wallerubw, LIZSAM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your pond and your flowers. Its too early here for our flowers to be blooming. They should be blooming in a couple of months. Thanks for sharing.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LIZSAM View Post
    Yes GrannyElen, there is a special hessian/plastic type bag - you start by rolling the top down - and keep filling it up with soil as the potato plant grows - do a web search - how to grow potatoes in a bag - there are quite a few sites
    and re those dandelions and other weeds - i think they do stretch all the way around the world - they are all over the place -
    Here's a link to sew your own grow bags from landscape fabric. I'm thinking that another use of landscape fabric is to make hanging bags that hang on houses and fences for flowers. http://www.ehow.com/how_7452464_make...pe-fabric.html

6. Thanks granny elen, Shastasmom thanked for this post
    Likes granny elen, Shastasmom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your pictures Sonia. The potato growing hint is really wonderful thankyou LIZSAM & Elen. We had a tiny bit of rain last night, it nearly settles the dust but not much else. I'm now into planting mode having given all the weeds the flick. There are dandelions in my lawn which I am rounduping. Maybe they share a root system with yours LIZSAM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sharon, may have to give this a try. Looks like it could be fun, our own unique planters.

Post Thanks / Like

Granny Ellen in fact you can grow anything in a container - garlic to potatoes you name it - - potatoes in a bucket and even old tyres

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to use containers as they need more watering & we are away quite a lot. It is quite a big job to ask a neighbour to water containers twice a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I never thought to sew bags from landscape fabric - that would be a much easier way to harvest potatoes, just dump the bag out. It has been really cold here this week and is now raining. I have daffodils, squills and glory of the snow blooming. That's ok, I typically don't plant a garden til June anyways. Gives me more time for good old fashioned spring cleaning - my lower level is so clean it could probably squeek!

Post Thanks / Like

After all the storms that came through Wichita (thankfully the path of the tornadoes missed us) my poor tomatoe plants are asking for life jackets! The water is just standing in my garden. I hope we get a little dry weather soon or I'm afraid even my potatoes will start to wither and rot. Ugh!

Post Thanks / Like

My gardens are under snow - the roses were growing so nice yesterday - I hope they are ok.
    But my thoughts are with all those that were in the path of the 100+ tornados this past weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Elen, your roses will do just fine. My lilacs are pushing out their leaves. Hope we don't get any killing frost before they bloom. Every year but 1, the blooms have been killed just before they are to open up. But if they don't at least they are pretty shrubs.

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard for me to believe my plants are furthur along than yours I live in zone 2! My lilacs have good sized buds already and you can make out the purple! Hope they bloom as they have only bloomed once before -thanks to the deer - they have been planted 13 years! I actually recently moved a tea rose hubby bought me for valentines day outside - that is the one I am most concerned about. The daffodils, tuips and hyasinths are blooming under the snow - hope they keep blooming.
    Happy garden planning everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a few days of showers & now it has warmed up again so everything is flowering again. This is a bit unusual for this time of year.

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

I spread Evergreen around last September and with the rain we have been having the grass has thickened. it is too wet to mow (remeber we are in drought conditions) the farm across the fence has dry soil, not enough water to penetrate, you pick up the clumps of soil and they are dry, dig down an inch in my garden and it bone dry. it overcast and cold, so this rain is enough for the plants to survive in the short term. In saying this the weeds are flousinging and I am on first names with the dnadelion flowers. i have noticed violets are growing in the grass, they are frost resistant. I used these and Catmint to underplant my roses oh also planted some Italian mint in the garden beds..catmint seems to failed to revive, Italian mint flourishing and Violets are taking over everywhere. the Black Bamboo I planted several years ago is on the march and spreading..it started out as four dying sticks, i got it from the throw out bin at the Garden Centre and thought it might survive, so did the stupid thing and took it out of the pot...looks like I am going to have to start using digital control on this clump. Daffodils still blooming, I planted these so I would get a display from January to May. The peonies are flourishing and clemantis is ready to flower. Never ever plant a Chilean Vine..I did and have been kept busy ever since weeding out the seedlings; this vine looks lovely, but when it seeds, well lets just say you are going to be kept busy keeping it under control. All I want is sunny day so I can get out and weed the front garden beds...
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are all waiting for warmer stable weather.
    We cover the garden each year. Everything is now open and ready for the first tilling.
    My DH put together a grow light for me. I use a large window in the shop for seed starting. I have 2 trays of corn, a few acron and Japanese cucumber, tomato seeds going. I may have to share my heating pad with these guys!

We have all these older windows we took out of our house last year. He is using these for "hot boxes". He came home with the 2x4's and hardware yesterday. We are in zone 7 with elevation. My growing season is short so I need all the help I can get. Potatoes, garlic and onions are all showing signs of spring is near. As are the flower beds with my unfavorite weed, the shotweed!

My fruit trees are starting to flower. An Asian pear and yellow plum, but we have had 2 nights in a row of frost.

Post Thanks / Like

Weeded & straightened the garden edges yesterday. The fhubard,capsicum & egg plant are still producing prolifically.

Post Thanks / Like

Accomplished the first mow on the north and east side yesterday. Too wet to do the west and south today. Started to cleaned out an overgown flower bed,too. Oh, my; the peonies are looking great!
    Never give up, never surrender.

http://www.designsbysick.com/?pointsfor=la_cole

Post Thanks / Like

Planted strawberries a few weeks ago & all the plants have developed new leaves, so I should have a good crop in spring & summer. Though it is autumn the fruit trees still have bright green leaves. They are usually turning yellow by now, but it has still been summer weather here.

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Yummy, home grown strawberries. the best I have ever grown was when we lived in Singleton, yes that you beaut Army base, it was hard to grow anything there, but strawberries for some reason thrived. Haven't had much luck growing them over here...Oh my grape vine has new leaf bud..hope for a good crop of grapes this year.
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Thread Information