Thread: Brother Pacesetter ULT 2001 Is 850 fair price??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brother Pacesetter ULT 2001 Is 850 fair price??

I wanted to find out if anyone knows this machine and if the following is worth the $850 she is asking. We have been emailing back and forth and she might let me make payments but before I go to deep into this - She said it was $4,000 new. I'm waiting to hear back as to how old the machine is. Is this asking price fair??

Thanks for all your help.
    Sherry

About Machine:
    Brother Pacesetter ULT 2001 digital embroidery machine complete with spools of thread & CD's. I have tons of the disks needed to do the embroidery, just about every type of thread you could imagine, along with the mats and cutters.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you done an internet search on the machine to see what they have sold for on ebay in the past or on other sites, if they have the same accessories etc? Just from looking around,t hat fall toward the low end of what I saw with a search, 2 sold for less, several were asking $1200 and up. What kind of transfer does it use - floppy or USB? If it takes a floppy - do you have that function available on your computer or will you need to purchase an external floppy drive? And are floppy's still available to purchase?
    Good luck making the decision.

debi is offline Poor memory? I don't have a . . . what was I saying again?
    Post Thanks / Like

i paid $1,000 for mine in April 2010. it came with the regular feet, and 3 hoops : a 4"x4", a 5"x7", and a 10 1/4" x 6 1/4". i am assuming it is 10 years old as it is called an ULT 2001. on this i could be (and probably am) wrong.

I love the fact that the window is large. and when you embroider, the design is shown as you stitch it out in color. I used a friends new brother machine and the stitch out was all in black, you couldn't really see the design or where the needle was actually stitching. and she paid a lot more for hers.

if you like to quilt, it does perfect 1/4" seams, but i had to buy that foot. Good thing though, it will use Generic feet, which i have a ton of.

my machine does beautiful embroideries using Shawn's threads. I've also purchased threads from Joann's when they were on sale. no problem there either. But you do need to use a thread stand.

what about the embroidery unit? is it included? when was the last time the machine was serviced? can you take it to a shop and have a dealer check it out before you buy it? (think of it like a mechanic and a used car)

o.k. now to the down side.

is there a dealer/service anywhere near you? if not, call around and see if any of the repair places will even look at the machine. my nearest dealer is 130 miles away. And the Janome and Pfaff dealers 40 miles away won't touch it, as they know nothing about Brother Machines.

The machine does use a floppy disc, not a usb stick. I had to purchase an external floppy drive because my computer doesn't have one installed. i bought one from Amazon for around $20.00, and the floppy discs were about $3.00 for a box of 30.
    It also has a card slot. I upgraded to the ult 2001, so i had already purchased PED Basic from Amazon for around $119. and it came with the card. if you need to buy this, be aware that not all sellers include the card. Since i bought the floppy drive, though, i haven't really used the card. my reasoning: the floppys are so cheap, and the disc is expensive. i would rather use up the floppys...

i messed up the tension on my machine not too long ago. i broke a needle while i was hemming some jeans and it got jammed, throwing everything out of balance. It was my fault, i wasn't paying attention, i was trying to watch tv and sew at the same time. DUH.... i took it to the shop, and because he knew i had to drive such a distance, he worked on it on a day he normally does classes. Unfortunately, i didn't test it before i took it home, and found out i need to return it. it does a beautiful embroider, but it wont stitch a regular seam worth a darn. so it is going back this weekend.

if i had to do it all over again. Yes, i would buy this machine. For what it does, and the features it has, you can't beat the price she is asking. Just as long as she has had the machine serviced regularly.

please let us know what you end up doing. and if i can answer any more questions. please ask....
    debi

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the information. I wasn't sure what all to check on since I have never bought a used machine. I would love to have a machine that would embroider big, I could make so many more things to sell, very limited on the 4x4.

This machine was her mother's and she passed away earlier this year. Not sure how much info she can give me on the machine but I do love the idea of having it checked out before I buy it.

There is a Brother service center in Jacksonville (about an hour from me) but since I babysit for my daughter in Jax then it wouldn't be to bad.

Will be sending another email off to her to see if she can answer any of these questions. Although if she does have someone offer cash for it then I will be out of luck. It just wasn't meant to be if that happens. Figure if I am suppose to have it then it will stay with her until I get her paid off or I get the funds raised.

I'll keep you posted, and again - thank you for all the great help and advice.

Hugs.
    Sherry

Thread Information