Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best embroidery machine for home use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best embroidery machine for home use?

What is the best embroidery machine for home use so I can embroider hats and coats and sweat shirts and that type of thing? Also so I can transfer my own designs to the machine from my computer?

Post Thanks / Like

Except for a Singer, they are all good. The type of machine depends on your budget and whether it offers a hat hoop or not. All machines have some sort of transfer system between it and the computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Asking what the best embroidery machine is like asking what is the best car. It all depends on your budget, intended use, availability in your area of a good dealer or service dept. My suggestion is to try out as many machines as possible and research on line the various makes. Decide on what features you need and what ones you would like to have and then start narrowing down your choices. Keep in mind that there are now only a few places that actually manufacture machines so that brand A may be made in the same factory as brand B with different features and cosmetics. Check out warranties and beware of opinions voiced on consumer sites as most people tend to write about the lemons and not usually write about how wonderful their machine is. Oh and no offense Sonia but I have several Singers and have never had any issues with them. For an entry level price point they serve their purpose as not to many people are able to spend copious amounts of money on something they are not sure they will like.Babylock and Brother share technology so that some of their machines are very similar. Pfaff, Viking and Singer are owned by the same company. Elna is now owned by Janome (or Juki I get them mixed up). So you see that brand is really not all that important. HTH

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Oldhag - decide what you want in a machine and do your research. But I really liek having the dealer/service person locally as they can fix so many things in minutes - where having to send them away can take weeks - and you will get addicted to your machine and miss it terribly when it is gone.
    What size of designs do you want to do? - Do you want your machine to sew as well as embroider? - Will you be sitting by the machine the whole time you use it? If not you may want to make sure you have the ability to manually go backwards in the design incase of broken thread, etc that doesn't automatically stop the machine. While researching machines keep in mind what options your computer has - some of the machines are not compatible with the newer computers (64 bit vs 32 bit, card reader capability etc.). Also keep in mind how you need to connect to your computer, and the placement of your computer to where your sewing machine will be. There are just so many factor to think about - and once you have decided what you want - it will be very easy to make a decision.
    Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also like to add to the above to get the machine with the largest hoop size and most features that you can afford. If you start out with a 4x4 embroidery area but can really afford one with a larger area, you'll kick yourself later for not getting the larger hoop and features.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

Post Thanks / Like

(((If you start out with a 4x4 embroidery area but can really afford one with a larger area, you'll kick yourself later for not getting the larger hoop and features.)))

Yes I have 2 brother and love them. But can only dod 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

I agree stretch you budget a little and at least get a 5x7. I have one that does the mega hoop multi postions, now wanting to go multi needle and larger embroidery field. Buy a machine that has a repair person close by. You will find great deals on Craigslist but don't buy one from there unless you see it work and can take it with you and do your home work on what one of these cost new. Ebay is another source. People buy these machines and think they can just start right out and don't realize it takes some time to learn them. Good luck let us know what you get.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have gotten some great advice and I agree with several things mentioned.....
    1. get a machine that has a local service person or in adjoining county, but don't get one too far away as it takes lots of time for the traveling.....(bought a Bernina 22 years ago from a lady in a close by town, but she has since closed down and I have to travel 2 hours + to get my machine in for repairs and it is usually done in a week, but that is alot of traveling for a machine....
    2. get the largest hoop size you can afford......I have the Janome 11000SE and I really like it, wish I could afford another.....lol and it has a 8x8 hoop but I can now get an 8x12 hoop, but will probably stay with what I have......
    3. get the machine that is easy for you to handle and work with.....DO NOT buy a machine without test driving it.....take some of your fabric....threads and try out one in the shop, if they are unwilling to let you try, don't buy.....this is going to be my machine and I want to make sure it drives the way it should.....just like a new car......
    4. now compare prices and go get the one you want......

Post Thanks / Like

All excellent points to consider. I have a Brother 8500 that is 15 years old. Thought I could step right into it - WRONG!!
    Take courses from your potential source and make sure you have a "connection" with them, that you can understand the instructions and feel comfortable with them. (I made my purchase at a sewing show from a dealer 1 hour away and there were some language differences. I was not comfortable so I didn't go back. My machine sat for two years before I did anything more than sew on it....) Thankfully I did find an instructor with the patience of a saint, took courses and soon learned the wonders and limitations of the machine.
    Consider the number of stitches your card / usb will hold. Mine is about 39,000 stitches. There are some gorgeous designs that I can't do.
    I find doing ball caps is not very successful even with the cap hoop. Just can't get the brim flat enough. Perhaps other brands have a hoop that keeps the cap in its rounded shape but I suspect those are industrial machines $25,000 and up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharon w View Post
    I find doing ball caps is not very successful even with the cap hoop. Just can't get the brim flat enough. Perhaps other brands have a hoop that keeps the cap in its rounded shape but I suspect those are industrial machines $25,000 and up.
    I ended up making embroidery designs into heavy-border patches with Brody (my entry-level Brother He240), machine-sewing Velcro to the back of the patch with my Kenmore/Janome, then sewing or gluing the other side of the Velcro to the hat. That way, the patches could be changed. Or you could just sew the embroidered patch to the hat - but I had no luck embroidering baseball-style hats, either.

Also, the 4x4" max embroidery field is slowly but surely being phased out. It's what I have, but even freebies lately are at least 4 1/2 inches or larger these days. I'd go with the biggest field I could afford, at least a 5x7". The quality is often improved with a larger design, too - it's less crowded.

But the best home machine is the one you've discovered suits you best, and there's no way around that without doing your homework ! Good luck in your research !

Post Thanks / Like

Get the best machine you can afford! If just starting out and not sure if you want to invest many thousands of dollars purchase the smallest Brother that also sews some basic stitches. You will need to purchase separately the PED Basic software and card writer. The machine comes with a dongle to attach to your computer but you will need the software anyway and I enjoy using the card. For under $500, you can get both if you shop.
    Caps will be a problem unless they are soft fabric. I had a Pfaff 2140 and had purchased the cap hoop but it did not work well. I solved the problem by stitching the embroidery on another fabric and glued it to the cap(baseball type). I now have a 6 needle Brother. I have had a Viking Diamond which I loved but traded it for the 6 needle because I could not afford both and wanted the professional cap hoop!

12. Likes cooperregina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree the only way you can do professional caps is to have the cylinder cap frame and those only come on the 6 threads, I am just getting a Brother pr600 for this reason, I will keep my Husqvarna Designer SE for sewing or small one color embroidery designs. I bought mine uses, for right around 4,200 with lots of extra hoops and lots of goodies, you can find the deals but never buy one that you haven't seen run off of Craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I found this forum in an effort to make my wife happy. She wants an embroidery machine for xmas. She's mentioned the Babylok Ellissimo Gold, which is expensive. I don't know enough about these things. But if money were no object, is this the best machine available?

motoandnutty is offline The mirror lies; actually, I'm young and GORGEOUS!
    Post Thanks / Like

If I know anything about Christmas gifts, it is that the best one would be the one that your loved one has wished for! - if it can be afforded, the Ellissimo Gold is a fantastic machine that combines a sewing machine with an embroidery machine.
    I don't know the cost, but I would suggest that you look at all the features (see PDF link) to see what she is dreaming of, and use it as a benchmark to compare with others on the market.
    http://www.babylock.ca/brochures/BLS...imo%20Gold.pdf
    I have a multi needle embroidery only machine from Brother because that was exactly what I wanted (since I bought it there have been improvements made - that I would have wished for if they had been available then, but because I had not compromised my initial wish I have never regretted the purchase.)
    If your wife has been researching machines for herself, and has settled on the Gold, I would be pretty confident that that is the one to get.

Post Thanks / Like

I to asked for an embroidery only machine for Christmas, did alot of research and since I am a beginner, wanted a very user friendly machine, I chose the Brother PE770, very reasonably priced especially for a beginner, great reviews also was able to purchase (4) different hoops and software and media card and reader for this machine. Santa granted my wish and my new machine is under the tree. Hope this helps. If you need any additional information, let me know.
    Tamra

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, asked Santa for a Brother PE770 for Christmas. It has arrived and I have been permitted to use it right away. Have to say that I love, love, love this machine! There is a learning curve, but not too steep. Spent some time beforehand familiaring myself with machine embroidery and its requirements, plus read many helpful blogs by owners of the PE770 who generously offered tips and caveats, both of which I am sure helped in making me ready to begin. I bought the Polystar thread set of 63 colors, pre-wound A bobbins (90 wt). Had to tweak my upper tension slightly (+1) and it is sewing beautifully. Have downloaded free designs from the internet and used them with no problem (easy, easy). Can't speak to durability yet, of course, but so far I am a delighted owner and user. BTW, got mine at Overstock.com for $517 delivered during the Christmas promotion. A great deal for what this little computer/machine does!

Post Thanks / Like

My first machine was a Brother PE 700II. I enjoyed the machine very much but I wanted at machine with a larger design area. This Christmas I bought the new Brother Dream Maker which has a 7X12 design area and a laser pointer for correct design placement. I could not be happier and would recommend this machine to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

purehand, do you know what this forum is about? It is about machine embroidery, so I don't think you are going to get many customers from here. Although you didn't include a link in your post, it is still considered spam!

DoraDeen Guest

I am using Brother PE770, I really love it, it helps me to bring up a good output..

21. Likes TwoAlaskans liked this post
    Dislikes la_cole, Shastasmom, sharon w, LIZSAM, Sonia disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DoraDeen, remove the link in your signature - it is considered spamming and has nothing to do with embroidery!

Thread Information