Thread: Thread keeps breaking...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thread keeps breaking...

I must be missing something!! My machine a brother pe770 came in, and I am finally getting to use it today!! Yay! I read the manual before hand so I wouldn't go into it blindly. However, I am just trying to embroider something simple to try it out and the thread keeps breaking. I feel the fabric and it is tight. Am I missing where to adjust the tension. What is a normal tension range? I am extremely new to sewing let along embroidery.

I thank you all kind ladies for helping me get started!

Post Thanks / Like

This is just to let you know that we have seen your question and someone here with knowledge of the Brother will answer you. Unfortunately I cannot help you as I don't know the machine at all!

Post Thanks / Like

I also am not familiar with your machine - but I had some breakage with my machine until I learned the tricks for it. Did you buy new thread when you got the machine? What type of thread are you using? Polyester thread typically is stronger. Make sure you are using embroidery thread. Try the simplest design your machine has and start from there. Does your machine have a speed setting? Can you slow the sewing speed down? Normal tension range is different for every machine. Your manual should explain what to look for. You so not want to see the bottom thread ont he top at all, you want to see some of the top thread on the bottom, but not a lot.
    If you ordered it through a dealer, they should be able to help you get it set up and running smoothly.

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

What fabric are your stitching on?
    What stabilizer are you using?
    What size of embroidery needle are you using?

Check to make sure you have your top thread is threaded through the thread path right and that it is in the top thread tension disk right.
    Check to see if your top thread is coming off the thread spool easily and not getting caught on the spool or the pin the spool sits on.
    Always thread the machine with the pressure foot in the up position even after thread breaks.
    It is always good to re thread the machine right from the begining from the spool on through the thread path after a thread break.
    Make sure your bobbin is in right and that the bobbin thread is clicked into the bobbin tension on the bobbin case.

Check your manual for threading the machine and make sure to follow it step by step.

Hopefully someone with a brother machine will see your post and add more information for you to check.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; June 2nd, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I ended up finding where the tension was on the screen and was able to lower it and I was able to finish the design. However I don't know if I stopped so many times that is why it doesn't look right, however I am going at it again

I bought it online, as I didn't have a dealer that was closer than two hours.. However, I am going to look at the local sewing shops and see if I can get some classes.

I used the brother polyester brother thread that came with the machine to first try out. I used a medium tear away stabilizer I bought at JoAnns, and just some regular cotton fabric. Once I adjusted the tension I didn't have the problem completing it. I got farther than I did before.

I am going to try it again, and see how it goes. Thank you for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

May sure that your needle is in the machine correctly, with the flat part of the needle to the rear of the machine.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the bigger brother to my machine, and everything actually the same. I shudder when i hear of thread breakages as this is what I put up with for months before discovering the problem.

Read you manual and go peeking and poking and get used to where all the bits and pieces are. Your thread tension should be set at -3, you will find this by touching the screen and the little pad thingy that has a page on it. Up will come needle count on your screen, ignore that and use the big > key underneath the LCD screen not the one on the screen and tap ot until tension comes up. Only use the crodile keys on the screen if you want to change anything on setting. The big 'more than' > crocodile key is the on to use for scrolling to find the different things.

Your machine should have the thread guide marked on it, make sure you follow this guide from 1 through to 7. Oh check the thread spool, sometimes there are nicks on them and the threa will get snagged on these nicks. Better to buy a spool stand and use this rather than using the spool on the machine. Move the spool stand away from the machine, I put mine at the back of the machine and bring the thread over the top to position 1. Make sure your bobbin is sitting flat in the holder and follow the bobbin thread placement guide exactly...only use embroidery thread. Hope this will get you started. Try embroidering one of the inbuilt designs, don't worry about the colour changes just embroider it through. I find the cherry design a best one to test the tension.

Hope this helps, so far. your dealer should have made sure you know the basics of your nachine...
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. I think it was the thread that brother included in the machine. Once I switched to a really nice thread I have yet to have a problem (crossing fingers).. I have been embroidering on felt the last few hours and it's been going good!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I just signed up to be able to reply to posts, but I have been here so many times and have learned so much.
    My threads kept breaking, have the robinson-anton threads and Brother, use a Brother bobbin fill, good needles, but to no avail.
    But I have found it.
    I have a Brother innovis 1200 and with that came a little cadget to unscrew the needle plate. I have always found that thing annoying and have replaced that with a steel washer that is smaller and fits right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8250024.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	27575
    Anyway, that's just beside the point, but I can now use the original cadget as a guide for my threads.

Name:	P8250020.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	27572
    I have put the original cadget around my small reel holder with the thread threaded through it and use it as a sort of a weight to give it some resistance and then I put a cloth peg in front of it to keep it in place. Now the thread has a straight feed into the machine.
    (As you can see I have tried many needles, but all were good actually. The culpritt was the feeding of the thread)

I wind the thread 1x around the following knob.(bobbin filler guide)

Name:	P8260026.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	27573

I use a thread stand, both for the small reels and the large reels.

Name:	P8260031.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	27574

No need to put anything around the reel anymore ( I have tried everything from pantyhose to bubble wrap.)

I change colour by way of tying a knot to the old colour and pulling the new colour through, like you do with an industrial machine.

And here is the good news! I had a whole box full of cheaper threads which I bought from China on Ebay and other suppliers.
    I tried them all and it works! I can now walk away while my machine humms away. I did change my speed to 350 though and haven't tried the faster speed yet. I also still need to test the metalic threads, but so far I'm happy.

Hope this helps you too.

Regards,
    Rita

Sometimes a parallel universe, East Anglia when in this universe
    Post Thanks / Like

When my machine comes back from the Dealer yes, another problem, thank goodness it is still under warranty, I am going to try the methid suggested by Rita. i don't have many thread breakages these daysm but another method wont go astray.
    Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Thread Information