Thread: Embroidery on waffle weave kitchen towels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Embroidery on waffle weave kitchen towels

Any special techniques to embroider on waffle weave kitchen towels? Do they shrink up when washed? What stabilizer do I use? Any special designs (ie applique). I did one once and it shrunk up each time it was washed. I have people asking for these, but I want the finished product to be useful and to look nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm anxious to hear from other's experiences. I've been wanting to do some, but was afraid they would shrink up as you've said.

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash and dry them a couple of times. Then iron them.
    Use a water soluble film topping on the top.
    Try a Tear Away or a Cut Away or a No Show Diagonal cut away mesh for backing depending on the stitch count of the designs you use.
    I would be inclined to use 1 layer of medium weight Cut Away or the Diagonal No Show mesh cutaway- fusible or regular- (1 or 2 layers) as this would stand up to many wahsings over time.

Denise in Calgary

Post Thanks / Like

I wash, dry them, and then lightly spray with starch. I use a cut away and a WSS on top. Good luck.
    Chris in Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Wardina View Post
    Any special techniques to embroider on waffle weave kitchen towels? Do they shrink up when washed? What stabilizer do I use? Any special designs (ie applique). I did one once and it shrunk up each time it was washed. I have people asking for these, but I want the finished product to be useful and to look nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash and dry the towels first. Since I don't like stabilizer on the back side, I iron "totally Stable" by Sulky on the back side of the towel. It keeps the fabric from shifting while stitching. I float a lightweight tear away under the hoop and lightweight water soluble topping on top. I have used this method on the waffle weave and microfiber towels with no problems.

Good luck!

Terrie
    Janome MB4 & 9500

Post Thanks / Like

I reallllly like the forums! You can find sooo many different ideas of doing embroidery!! I pick and choose. Thanks for answering Wardina's question. I was wondering the same thing!!

Thread Information