Thread: Brother or Babylock

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brother or Babylock

I am looking to buy a new machine and find myself with a very hard decision. I have 2 machine I am looking at and need some serious advice from my embroidery friends. I can get a 6 needle Brother Entrepreneur PR650 or a 6 needle Babylock Professional. I really don't know which one to choose. Does anyone have any advice? Please I am definitely in need of some help here.
    Stacie

saskia is offline A smile just completes the presentation
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you out here but I would love to have one of those myself.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a hard decision to make, I have two brothers and really like both of them. Either one is good machines. Would also love to have one.
    Barbara

labeelady is offline When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    Post Thanks / Like

I envy you, Gypsymom! Such a hard decision too! I've seen the Brother PR650, but not the Babylock. I'm sure the Babylock would cost more than the PR650 (which is over 6 thou), although I haven't priced the Babylock. Have you been to Patternreview.com to read the reviews on these machines?

Pat Harper,Carencro LA
    http://labeelady.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

to make things worse ... take a look at this offer: http://metroemb.com/melco-bravo.html
    with Melco you are in the "real" professional world, not the semi-pro like with the two machines you mentioned
    Please check out: - and please vote for my site on GoTop100 and TopCrossStitchSites ... Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Babylock one run about 8,000, but it comes with a lot of stuff.

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Brother and the Babylock 6 needle machines are pretty much identicle.
    Brother makes the one for Babylock.
    The difference may be the designs you get with them.
    The hoop sizes should be the same.

It is my understanding from comments from others that the Babylock may be a bit cheaper.

If you are close to either Brother or Babylock Dealer then you may want to purchase from them so if you need service you are nice and close.

Yes have a look at the Melco Bravo machine too - it has 16 needles and the price is good too.
    http://metroemb.com/melco-bravo.html

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; July 7th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have embroidered on both machines and find that they are very compatible in stitching. Price is pretty equal but I do think the Babylock comes with more accessories. Either would be a great choice and I envy you the opportunity to purchase one. The deciding factor for me would be which one has the best service available. They need to be cleaned after alot of stitching and if you can't get it in to be serviced quickly then I would not be interested in the purchase. good luck and Happy stitching!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bravo

I heard that the Bravo is not a good machine and that the more needles you have the harder it is to get it fixed because I have the option of a Bravo or a Happy but since I haven't heard much about them I kind of crossed them off the list. Let me know what experiences you all have had please.

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

Gypsymom

I don't think you can compare a commercial machine like the Melco Bravo or the Amaya XT or Happy to a Babylock or Brother 6 needle machine which are not a commercial machines but are considered semi commercial machines.

The Bravo machine is a commercial machine that is very similar to the Amaya XT that Melco also makes.
    The Bravo has just come out in this last year so it is new.

The Amaya XT can be purchased as a single head machine and also it can be hooked up to other Amaya XT to run more than one head.
    So it is a good starting machine and if you ever need to expand to more machines you can do it with the Amaya XT.
    So it offers the best of both worlds.

The Bravo can only be used as a Single head machine and can not be hooked up to any others so it is good for someone that just wants to run one machine or needs another machine for certain jobs.
    The Bravo is a pared down version of the Amaya XT but very similar.
    Both have 16 needles but the Bravo stitches at a lower stitch count per minute.
    Bravo stitches up to 1000 stitches per minute, the Amaya XT stitches upto 1500 stitches per minute.
    Also the Bravo has a few less features or capabilities than the Amaya XT and may also not have certain hoop sizes or types of hoops that come with it or that can be used with it.
    Both these machines have the acid feed tension so if you do not want to adjust thread tensions the machine does it automatically for you. This is a really great feature of these 2 machines.

Most commercial machines require the owner to do certain regular maintanence to the machine at various times.
    Major repairs require a Tech to come out to your place to do the repairs and you pay for their travel time to get to you.

Most commercial machines come with a manual and some with Videos to walk you through the regular maintanence steps.
    Also the companies usually have an email address and a phone number to reach Techs to help you through the problems you may be having.

I don't know why you think the Bravo is not a good machine or that they are harder to fix.
    Melco has been making commercial machines for a long time.

The other commercial machines such as the Happy and the Tajimas have also been around for a long time and are good machines too.

The best way to learn about any machine is to go into a dealer that sells them and see them in action and ask lots of questions.

Machines such as the Babylock and Brother machines need to be taken into a dealer for repairs just like the home styled single needle embroidery machines we use.

You probably will also have to do some regular maintanence on the machine too.

Many of the Digitzers that sell designs run Commercial machines and also many embroiders have them too.
    Suz at BFC Creations has the Amaya XT, Juli at Sew Weird designs has a Happy machine.
    You could always contact them and ask about the quality of the machines.
    You could also join the yahoo groups for the machines you like and ask questions there.

More and more embroiders are buying multi needle machines as their prices are very comparable to the top of the line home style single needle embroidery/sewing machines.
    You get more needles which means less time to stitch out a single design and less time you have to change thread colors.
    The more needles you have the more thread colors a machine can stitch out before having to change the thread colors on a machine.

I think you can find information about the Amaya XT and Bravo at the folowing Melco webiste.
    http://www.melco.com
    And you can see the many features and view the Trainign videos on the Bravo and it's operating system at the following link.
    http://metroemb.com/melco-bravo.html
    http://metroemb.com/melco-support.html

I have seen the Amaya XT in action and that is the one I would buy but I might consider the Bravo. Also there is a Dealer here in my city that sells them and repairs them so that is a savings in it self.

I think you should try to see as many machines as possible and then decide what you really want from a multi needle machine.
    What hoop sizes you would like to have.
    What optional hoops you may like to have.
    What type of embroidery you want to do with the machine such as Caps, Bags, all types of clothing, towels etc.
    Do you want to use the machine for business to make some money.
    Will the machine you purchase stand up to using it for a business and for how long.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; July 8th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information