Thread: Babylock Embroidery Machine

latwhluvr Guest

Default Babylock Embroidery Machine

I have a babylock ellure and I do a lot of embroidery on mostly cotton, as I make summer clothes for my children. My problem is that the bobbin thread or the stabalizer comes through on the top of the item, now if I use colored bobbins I have no problems, but when using plain white bobbin this happens. I have tried to adjust the machine maybe I am doing it wrong. I usually use cut away on some and tear away on some. CAN ANYONE Help?

gartner is offline I consider every design I embroider a project.
    Post Thanks / Like

The first thing you could try would be to lower your top thread tension down just a little and see if that stops the bobbin thread from being pulled up to the top of your embroidery. Lower abit and then test stich a design
    You may have to make this adjustment a couple of times to get it to where the bobbin thread is not showing on top.
    But make sure your design is still stitching out nicely.

It sounds as if your top thread tension is set too high and it is pulling the bobbin thread up.
    There should be a place in the settings of your machine to lower the top thread tension or increase it if need be.

When embroidering on cotton you could also starch the cotton before embroidering.
    Spray with spray starch and then iron and then spray again and iron. This will give more body to your cotton. This would not have any affect on the bobbin thread showing!

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; March 31st, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

latwhluvr Guest

Thanks Denise, I will give it a try, thanks sooooooo much!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

latwhluvr, I had the same problem. I also have a Baby Ellure and it was my tension too. I went into my book where it showed adjusting the thread tension. If the bobbin thread shows on the right side of the fabric then your upper thread is too tight. If you see the upper thread on the wrong side of the fabric then the upper thread is too loose. They show you how to press a + or - to correct the problem. I adjusted and adjusted as far as I could go and it still didn't work. I finally called the place where I bought the machine and was told to reset it, because it was the actual bobbin case that was the problem. I had to take my machine apart to get at the drop in bobbin case and adjust the green screw one half a turn. If you try and adjust the tension with the plusses and minuses and it doesn't work I suggest you call your store and ask them how to adjust the bobbin casing or if there is someplace else on top to adjust the upper thread. the book doesn't tell you there are other places to adjust tension. I don't like taking my machine in to fix if it's just something simple they can talk me through over the phone. Most sewing machine stores will try to walk you through small problems. I go to my book for everything first.

latwhluvr Guest

Thanks 123 mccoach, willing to try anything at this point, this forum is so great for us that need help without having to call a 800 number and hold for long periods of time!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't help you. I have a babylock Ellageo and it is in the shop for that same reason. Due for a cleaning but for months I have to change the tension setting as my bobbin thread pulls up to the top. Lots I was doing I juse used emb thread in the bottom to and didn't have a problem.

latwhluvr Guest

Thanks dorie, I have been doing the same thing with the colored bobbins, but they are not as cheap as the white, I'm going to keep trying to adjust, but may have to take to the shop, but this is my busy time as I make my kids summer clothes and really hate to take to the shop right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

LATWHLUVR, the prewound bobbins might be your problem. I can't get any of them to work in my BabyLock Ellure. None of them fit just right. They are either too tight or too loose. Take the prewound and wind that thread onto a regular bobbin you got with your machine and see if that works better. That's what I had to do. I buy big spools of bobbin thread instead of prewound ones.

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest place to start to adjust thread tension is with the top thread tension.
    If that doesn't help with the bobbin thread showing on top of a design then you may have to adjust the bobbin tension.

If you adjust the bobbin tension on the bobbin case just turn the screw about 1/4 turn.
    Then test stitch out a design.
    Do it again if need be.

Turning the screw just a bit makes a great difference that is why it should be turned in small increments.

Turn the screw Right to tighten the tension, Left to loosen it.

You would have to tighten your bobin tension so the bobbin thread is pulling down your top thread more.
    This would stop the bobbin thread from being pulled up.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; April 1st, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For embroidery you should have more top thread showing on the bottom of a stitch than bobbin thread.

This is totally different than when you do regular sewing where the top and bobbin thread is balanced and meet in the middle of the stitch.

A good test for knowing if your tension is set right for embroidery is to stitch out a large satin stitch letter or number.
    Use 1 color for the top thread and another color or white bobbin thread in the bobbin.
    This could be a satin letter or number from an alphabet that is part of the decorative stitches that comes pre loaded on your machine.
    Or it could be from a Satin Stitch Alpha you have purchased or bought from a digitizer.

With satin stitching there should be top thread showing on the back side of the design on the out side edges and bobbin thread showing only in the middle on the back of the letter or number.

So if we break the width of the letter or number in thirds you would 1/3 top thread on one side, 1/3 bobbin thread in the middle and 1/3 on the other side.

Below is a picture of what it should look like on the back. The B shows it best.

This is one test that a machine tech should do when cleaning your machine and adjusting the tensions for balanced stitching.

My tech always gives me a sample of stitches he did after cleaning my machine and the satin stitch is one of them.
    This is their way of proving that they have checked the top and bobbin tensions.

Denise in Calgary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n_a.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	10286  
    Last edited by gartner; April 1st, 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Babylock Baby Ellure a new machine?

I am curious to know what size of Pre wound bobbins that 123Coach is using and having trouble with in her Ellure.
    And I am curious to know what size of pre wounds LATWHLUVR is using in her Ellure.

I just checked some charts for Pre Wound Bobbins and one chart shows the Ellure as using a L sized pre wound bobbin and the New Ellure using the Class15/Style A pre wound bobbins.
    The other chart says to use the L sized pre wound bobbins for the Ellure and makes no distinction between new or older Ellures.

The Class 15/Style A bobbins are the same width across and the same around as the L Size but are taller than the L Size by just a little bit.

One thing I have found with the L sized pre wound bobbins is that some times there is too much thread wound on them and so they either don't fit in my Designer 1 bobbin case or they fit very tight and don't move very easily in the bobbin case.

If I remove some of the thread off of them they fit fine and turn easily in the bobbin case.

Another thing to mention about pre wounds is that the different brands can vary on the weight of bobbin thread wound on them.
    Some have 60 weight thread on them and some have 70 or 75 weight thread wound on them. 75 weight is much lighter than 60 weight.

So to me this means that we need to test stitch and then if need be adjust our thread tensions to accomodate the weights of thread we use to get a great stitch out.

If you find you use one Brand of Pre Wound bobbins all the time then it may be worth having your machine tech adjust you thread tensions for them.

Same goes if you use one Brand and Type of Top embroidery thread.

The weight of top thread may be the same from brand to brand or type (polyester or rayon) but they could run differently in your machines.

I find that polyester top embroidery thread runs faster through the tensions on my D1 than rayon so I have to make adjustments for it.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; April 1st, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

latwhluvr Guest

Denise,

I have no trouble with the prewound colored bobbins in my Babylock ellure (uses L bobbins) it is when I try to use plain white bobbins that I fill myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay!
    When you wind the white bobbins are you using bobbin thread or embroidery thread?

Are the colored pre wounds that you use are they wound by you or do you buy them?
    If you buy them where are you buying them or what brand of pre wounds are they?

Denise in Calgary

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I received some bobbins from my Baby Lock dealer when I purchased the machine. I hadn't tried them yet and I went back to the new store my dealer opened and that store was going out of business because everyone went to the original store. Anyway since they were going out of business they gave me a bunch of thread and pre wound bobbins. Just recently I tried to use them. I tried several in my machine and they didn't fit right so I wound the thread on my regular bobbins and threw the cardboard ones away. The dealer knows what size bobbin my machine needs. I don't know because they also gave me a lot of plastic empty bobbins when I bought the machine so I've never had to buy any bobbins so far. All I know is my machine is one and one half years old. When I need anything for the machine I go to the dealer. He thinks it's unusual for the prewound not to fit and said the next time I bring the machine in he'll look at it to see why. I don't mind winding bobbins, I've done it for 50 years and I always wind 2 or 3 before starting to stitch so I have enough

Post Thanks / Like

123mccoacch

It could be that your machine uses the plastic sided, L sized pre wound bobbins.

I know from experience that some of the cardboard L sized bobbin don't fit my D1 machine and some do.

But I do know that I should only use the plastic sided pre wound bobbins in it.
    My empty bobbin sensor won't work with the cardboard sided bobbins.
    They are not recommended for my machine.

And some say that the cardboard ones will leave lint in the bobbin case from the cardboard sides rubbing in the bobbin case as they turn.

I believe that if your machine uses a regular plastic bobbin that came with it to wind your own thread on then you probably should only use the clear, plastic sided, pre wounds in it.

Most home styled embroidery /sewing machines now come with regular plastic sided bobbins either clear or a color but you can see through them.

And some of these machines will also use Size L pre wound bobbins and some need the Class15/Style A pre wound bobbins.
    These are the only 2 sizes of pre wounds that fit in the home style machines.

Perhaps you should try the plastic sided pre wounds. L Sized.
    See if you can just get 1 or 2 from your dealer and see if they work.
    And remember that we only use the pre wound bobbins for embroidery not sewing.

Denise in Calgary
    Last edited by gartner; April 1st, 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a babylock ellure and it constantly misses picking up the bobbin thread at color changes. SO AGGRAVATING! this has really messed up some of my projects. Anybody got ideas on how to fix this? Thanks John

Thread Information