PDA

View Full Version : hoop size versus design size

grammy57
November 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Ok, it's me again. Still trying to decide on a new machine. Learned the Brother SE400 only does 4 x 4 designs. The Singer Futura 150 has a hoop that is 6.?? by 4.?? and the question is: designs listed as 5 x 7, will they be too big for this hoop? That's the reason I'm interested in buying Singer over Brother is many of the designs I'm interested in are listed as 5 x 7.
thanks so much for helping this slow to learn grammy.

la_cole
November 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I recommend getting a machine that will do the largest designs possible that your budget will allow. Those who start only with a 100x100 soon find the size very restrictive. Do you have a Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, or Bernina dealer in your area?

tndenim
November 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I got a 4 x 4 hoop machine. And I'd love to have larger. It can also depend on what you plan to do with your machine. If you are going to be a "power" user and use it all the time - I'd go for the largest hoop you can afford. But if you are going to be an "ocassional user" - you could probably get by with the 4x4 hoop.

TurtleOwl
November 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I would recommend trying to get at least 5x7 but would try to find something other than Futura which is very touchy with threading and tension. Also not all 5x7 designs will work with the almost 5x7 hoop. I started with a Futura and struggled with it and nearly decided ME was not for me. DH picked out a Brother for me (a nicer machine than I hoped for) and I have been having a wonderful time with it. If I had to get another machine I would stick with the brother. I'm sure some of the other brands are good too but am not familiar with them.

wallerubw
November 13th, 2010, 08:33 AM
A 5x7 design won't work in a 6x4 hoop. It will in a 6x10 though. I guess I haven't heard of a 6x4 before. What machine uses that?

Shihaya
November 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Get the largest hoop you can
I'm already wishing for a larger one and I do have the 5X7

123mccoach
November 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I have a Brother Baby Lock Ellure that uses both 4x4 and 5x7 hoops. I love my machine. It was very reasonable. I don't know how much you can afford. It depends on what you intend to do with your machine. Take a ruler and draw a square 4x4 and a rectangle 5x7. Cut them out and place them on things you want to embroider on. I was surprised to see how big 4x4 was in relation to my Tshirts. 5x7 is better for larger things like if you are doing table cloths and runners. I love my machine but wish it came with even a bigger hoop than 5x7 but I couldn't afford one at the time. Or if I had a program to be able to cut some designs into 2 files so I can use my 5x7 for bigger designs.

wissewer
November 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Depending on your budget, always buy the biggest, latest, and best that you can. My dad was a master carpenter and his advice was to always build a little bigger and better than you thought you needed. I've found that his advice carries through in many areas.

You will never regret having more sizes available to you, but you might feel limited if you only have one size, especially as you "get into" machine embroidery.

grammy57
November 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
It isn't really 4 by 6 it's 4.5 by 6.75, I just didn't know the fractions when I asked. It's the Futura.